Friday, August 31, 2012

The view from my window-a silent monologue

Just a few minutes ago, I happened to look out my window while firing up my ipod, and I saw a neighbor outside having a conversation. At first, I thought she might have been rehearsing something because there was no one else out there, and it didn't look like she was holding up a phone. At the same time, the song "What Love Really Means" by JJ Heller began playing. I began to notice that this woman was in fact on the phone and having an animated discussion to say the least. She was pacing and pointing and pantomiming...it was clear that the conversation wasn't very pleasant even though I couldn't hear a word of it. As the song kept playing, I began to truly understand the impact of this song that was being played out before my eyes across the street. I didn't mean to pry on her business, but I couldn't help but watch as the narrative of the song became so real and vivid like in a silent film. I began to wonder if this is how God watches us as we struggle through imperfect and hurtful relationships just begging and longing to feel what love truly feels like. How we just keep striving and doing all these meaningless things in order to feel worthy of love or trying to keep the love of others. It's like I could just feel God calling out to her saying, "I'm right here, get off the phone and listen." I wish all of you could have been here to witness this because it was such a potent illustration of what God has been saying to us for a couple thousand years..."I love you. I love you so much that I will send my son to take your sins and stains and die because I love you that much." What's truly interesting is that I have no idea how my ipod starting playing that song because it was set on a completely different artist nowhere near JJ Heller in the list.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment